Friday 12 October 2012

Exhaust Bolts OUT! (Day 55)

Big celebration here; we finally got them out.  All 8 of them and not a single breakage.  I think I have discovered the secret:





1.  Trick - take your time.  My bolts had been in for at least 25 years and it has taken me 2 weeks to get them out.  Not 2 weeks of total work but a little bit every day.
2.  I think the magic formula was a concoction of 50% brake fluid and 50% cellulose thinners.  Brush this on twice a day.  Mine came out after 3 days of this.
3.  Don't be afraid to do some impact driving.  I had hex bolts holding my exhaust in and it took me a while to find the right combination of driver bits and 3/8th inch and 1/2 inch converters.  Give them a good whack.  Do it a couple of times a day.  Keep adding concoction.
4.  Don't stick on the one bolt, try them all.  I spent the first week on one bolt.  Nothing moved.  Then today I tried another bolt on the other side of the engine.  It came out quite easily.  So I did some of the others.  The first bolt was the worst.  See the photos and you understand why.  I had spent all that time being put off because the first bolt I tried was the worst.
5.  Take your time.  Don't expect to do it in a day.
6.  My next trick was going to be the blow torch (I ordered them from Ebay but they have'nt arrived yet) but in the end they weren't needed. 
7.  Trick - try tightening them as well as unscrewing them.  My first discernable movement on the first bolt I got out was when I screwed it in.  Even the smallest movement is good.  Add more concoction and keeping screwing it up (until it's very tight) and then unscrewing it a little.  For a time it seemed to me that it got tighter the more I unscrewed it.  That was the sign to screw it back in and add some more concoction and wait a little.
8.  From the photos you can see that the concoction penetrated the bolts by about 50% (see the darker part of the bolt) which is quite amazing.