Saturday 3 November 2012

Front Brake Caliper Piston Removal (Day 77)

Just can't believe those guys on the GS Resources Forum.  I was able, with their advice to remove this pesky piston:

To get the pistons out hook up an airline to the hole where the banjo fits. Make it a push fit using a plastic round piece that you get in the kit for pumping up an airbed etc. Place a thick rag quadrupled over on top of the piston - it'll fly off (and keep fingers out of the way). If the pistons are marked on their sides - even slightly - throw them away. Replace using stainless steel ones and the job is done forever - I think Nick Chambers has them.

This is exactly what I did.  Have to say I was pretty pessimistic that it would work.  But it popped out like a champagne cork.  I would have flown off and caused some damage to me or something in the garage had I not covered it as suggested with a rag.

What I did was to take a valve from an old bicycle inner tube.  Cut it down and screw it into the hole where the banjo fits.  Then I attached a foot pump and pumped away.  It was necessary to hold the valve in very tightly and it took 2 of us to do.  But there you are; done.  Thanks Hampshire.

 This is where we started.
 The bicycle valve.
 Inserted into the banjo hole.
 After some pumping with a foot pump she popped out.
 Can this piston and caliper be repaired / cleaned up / put back to use?

Inside the caliper is a bit rusty.