Saturday 10 November 2012

Front Brake Reservoir Screw Problem Solved (Day 84)

I have got the drill out today.  And this little srcew is coming out.
 Much simpler than I thought being it was the first time I had ever done this.  Started with a very small drill then upped the size and having looked at the other screw guessed how far I would have to drill in to get it out.  The trick is to go in far enough to get the head off but not too far to hit the thread on the casting.

 So the lid come off nice and easy.
 Very surprised to find it full of brake fluid (which looked in OK condition being as it must be about 15 to 20 years old).  Why would the fluid not have drained when I took the banjo off? 
 Still need to get the rest of the screw out.  Luckily there was just a couple of mm of thread standing proud of the casing.
 With a hacksaw I cut a slot in the remaining screw part.
 And it came out easy peasy.  Obviously the part that was seized was the head of the screw onto the lid.  I could virtually unscrew the remainder with my fingers.
 And this is what a screw looks like that had been decapitated.