Tuesday 12 February 2013

Carburetor Break Down Part 3 (Day 176)

I was getting a lot of jip (english for: aggravation) on the forum (GS Resources) about not stripping the butterflies out.  One of the reasons I did not do it was because I could find no mention of it anywhere.  It is not shown or described on any of the carb strip/rebuild tutorials.  So I did it anyway.  It is important to get the very best fit cross head screwdriver to get the butterfly screws out.  It would get messy if they were stripped.  Here we go:
 First you have to get the rusty old end cap off.  Then remove the circlip.
 
 And the plastic washer.
 
 Then you remove the 2 screws holding the butterfly valve onto the spindle and remove the spindle.
 
 Noting how the bottom part of the spring catches around the lug.
 This leaves you with a rubber seal at both ends.  These will need replacing as they are not very soft.  I have read about carbs leaking air in this area.  So MORE carb bits to buy.
 Here they are
 
 I also discovered another set of O rings (just how many are there in a set of carbs?) under the choke nut.
 There is also a rubber seal on the top part of the choke nut.  OK lets replace them as well!