Wednesday 15 May 2013

Painting Problems

I'm trying out some different engine/caliper paints.  I have a 1983 black painted engine.  I am about to get the frame powder coated.  I am testing some satin black paint on some old brake parts to see if I like the finish (it will then be applied to all the parts and the engine) and I will be able to show it to the powder coater and ask them to match it.  That way I figure all the black on the bike will be the same shade/finish.

So I am trying VHT at the moment.  Their suggesting was to paint the item with white primer then after waiting some time (I waited 5 days) paint it again with the satin black.  I did all this very sucessfully and it looked great, although it was on the glossy side of satin.

Then, when my wife was out, I did the cooking (curing).  In the oven at 200 deg C for 30 minutes.  And this is what happened:  some of the black paint bubbled up and off leaving the white paint showing through.  What did I do wrong?  Perhaps those surfaces where not cleaned before repainting with the black.  Or was I supposed to cure (cook) the white primer before applying the black?

These were the paints and the sustenance required to do the job:

Here you can see the blisters which are mostly on the flat parts.

 Under the blistering is the white primer coat that is not lifting or bubbling.
 

Other than that I am pleased with this VHT Satin Black.  It almost looks like powder coat.  It goes on really well and after cooking (curing) the glossy goes off a bit so it's almost my perfect satin.  On the left is the one I painted and on the right is the original from my bike.