Saturday 11 January 2014

Preparing Steering Head For Reassembly (Day 511)

After some time dealing with my other bike (My GS1100G Road Runner Blog) and enjoying riding it over the last part of the summer of 2013, I am back on the original project and I am starting on the frame / forks reassembly.

All of my parts and frame have been beautifully powder coated at Performance Powder Coating in East Kent.

Now I am preparing to reassemble the steering head.All the powder coated parts look great and we are ready to go.


The stem was wrapped in masking tape that was baked at high temperature.  This meant the tape was very hard to remove and when it did come off it left a sticky residue.



 Removing all the sticky tape glue with a "sticky stuff" remover.
 Then I needed to dress the damage I had done when I was busting off the old race with the Dremel.
 And prepare the stem for the new bearing.
Then I needed to tap the handlebar retaining bolt holes as these had not been protected from the powder coating.
 
 
 I also spent some time wire brushing up the original clamp bolts.

Then let's see where these bearings go.
 I think there should be a washer underneath that bearing.
 
I need to find a way of pushing this bearing right down to be in contact with the T section (including the washer which is not present).