Wednesday 12 September 2012

Carburettor

With the fairly simple removal of the airbox completed I decided it was time to crack on and get a major component off the old beast.  So the carbs were next.  It was quite straight forward.  Used plenty of WD40 to get the rubber manifolds slippery and slackened the retaining rings off.  My biggest problem was unattaching the throttle cable and the choke cables.



 Choke cable is attached to the top of carb 2 (from the right).  I tried at first to take off the retaining bracket which meant removing the forward screws on the carb top.  Only managed to get one of these off.  The other one stripped the cross threaded head.  Had to hacksaw a cut in it to get it off but in the process discovered that the choke cable nipple would pull through the angled metal sheath so in the end the removal of this bracket was not necessary!
 Choke cable sheath bracket.
 Took of the top of this carb.  Looks OK.  Rubber is good.


 Corrosion is quite bad on the bodies but I am hoping the elctro sonic cleaning will sort this out.
 I think this is a non standard fuel filter.
 Butterflies are OK.  This is the worst one but it is not corroded just discoloured.
 Throttle linkages.
 Nicely corroded link bar - but I think it will come good.

 Float bowls are a bit dire and the drain plug is one of the worst corroded items on the bike.

 Throttle idle speed adjuster is pretty grim.  Not sure if I will be able to resuscitate this.

 Carb tops are pretty rubbish but I have seen worse.


 Inlet manifolds show some signs of corrosion but it is not major and I am not concerned.  It looks like there has not been too much moisture getting into the engine despite being left outside (mostly uncovered) for 10 years in rainy UK.

These end cap thingies have had it.