Saturday, 29 December 2018

Clutch Selector Bearing Stuffed

I didn't notice this for a while but it looks like the guys who vapour blasted my cases, saw that there was a bearing still in there and attempted to get it out.

Well they botched that pretty bad. Gouging out the inner part of the bearing and leaving the outer shell in place after marking up the cases pretty badly.

With the help of some technically adept motorbike mates, we got the shell out and smoothed off the damage.

This is how it looked when it was sent for blasting (OK I should have got it out myself):

and this is what came back from the blasters:

so we took the Dremel to it:

and out it came:

New bearing had a lot more rollers on it and will go back in after the painting has been done.

Monday, 17 April 2017

Vapour Blasted Engine Comes Home

Got the cases back now. They did an aggressive blasting to try and eliminate all the corrosion. Mostly this has worked well but still a few places where I'm going to have to wet and dry.

In any case (get it?) it's a good finish for painting. The cam cover I have painted as my test piece using VHT paints; Engine Enamel Primer, Barrel Paint and Satin Clear Clear. Comes up good.

And a reminder of what I started with:

Saturday, 5 November 2016

Head Comes Apart

All the valves need taking out and clearances checked.

Gear Box Components Out

For vapour blasting all the internals need to come out.

Including this roller bearing that supports the gear selector drum.

And How Are Things Inside?

Quick look at the pistons: they have very few marks on their side but are quite sooty. I guess they were quite carbonned up, even though the mileage wasn't high. I sprayed WD40 into the barrels several times over the years to stop any corrosion and that's a good way to loosen up the deposits. They are very soft now.

To get the crank out it was necessary to take off pistons 1 and 4.

Cases Ahoy!

Now to get the cases apart and not to forget all the bolts top and bottom and the retaining plate clutch side. (Click on images to enlarge)

Sunday, 9 October 2016

Sump Comes Off

Lets see what's happening in the sump - always tells you what's been going on in the engine:

 There was a little bit of gunk in the bottom - nothing to worry about considering this motor has been idle for at least 15 years.

And with the filter, I took the mesh off and there was nothing in it at all.