Wednesday 12 September 2012

Service and Repair Manual

 My mum bought me this manual when we had the bike shipped from Canada to the UK in 1996 (when I was 39).  It shows a very shiny GS850 G on the cover.  The book originally did the GS850s, GS1000s and GS1100s up to 1982 and then they put in a supplementary chapter at the end to cover the 1983 models.  This includes my GS1100 G (D) which has the air assisted front forks and the air rear suspension units.  It also has a engine painted black.  Not really to my liking.  I like the shiny one above (click on the photo to get a closer look).  The manual was published in 1994 (ninth edition).
 
This is what she wrote when she gave it to me.  Nice memory (Dad died years ago.  Mum died October 2011 in Texas) of what she and Dad did with the bike traveling around the USA and where it has been in Canada.  I think I have their travel diaries somewhere in a storage container.  I will post them one day.  I feel like the project has a lot to do with Mum and Dad.  How sentimental we get in our old age.