Saturday 10 November 2012

Shaft Drive and Engine Removal (Day 84)

I am pretty sure that the shaft drive has to be unbolted from the engine in order to get the engine out but I can't figure out how to do this.  The bolts are under a big rubber boot that cannot be slid very far forwards or backwards (click on photos to enlarge).
 
Here's the rubber boot.
 And this is how difficult it is to get in there.
 I don't think I can disconnect the shaft from the engine with the silver bolts (which screws into the engine side) but I need to unscrew the gold coloured ones that are pointing to the rear of the bike.  How on earth do you do that?
You can see on this one that I have an allen key in the swing arm bolt.  I am thinking that that is the only way to do it by taking the rear wheel and swingarm off first.  But I want to keep the bike in rolling chassis form so I can wheel it to the place in the garden where I will put it on it's side to get the engine out.