Saturday 9 February 2013

Pilot Jet Shananigans (Day 175)

Those pesky pilot jets have caused me no end of problems.  I machined (with my Dremel) a screwdriver to the exact .0359 thou size (thank you Ed Ness - see his CV Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial).  It looked like 2 of them were already damaged like the main jets.  And they would not come out.  I used my concoction (50% thinners and 50% brake fluid) and after a lot of effort I got one out.  The other one was impossible and now had a completely flat top.  This one was difficult (click on image to enlarge):
 This is what it looked like when I got it out.
 But for the really difficult one I had to adopt a new strategy.  Firstly I drilled the top out then I inserted and banged in a Torx driver of approximately the right size.  I attached a socket set lever and bingo, it came out.  The thread is still good in the carb body too:
This is the tool I made to do this little trick: