Sunday 30 June 2013

Front Caliper (2nd one) Preparation for Painting

Despite my problems with the first caliper and some of the paint blistering, I am preparing the second caliper to start a new process which hopefully I can then reproduce on the first one.  So to strip the caliper I am again using VHT Aircraft Strip (very expensive and eventually does the job after a couple of applications).
On the first application you get this:

Which you then wash off and it looks like this:

There is still quite a bit of paint to come off so put on another coat of VHT Aircraft Strip:
Then wash it all off again and what I did was to put it in my Ultrasonic Cleaner with some Automotive Parts Cleaner solution for about an hour at 70 Deg C.  When they came out and dried off you could clearly see why I am having a painting problem.  This caliper was much worse:
 The oxidation on this part is severe.  Vapour blasting it is.
 But on the other surfaces it looks OK.  This is deceptive as the oxised parts will reject the paint.